The Ogre Battle 64 Archive Forum

HomePortalCalendarGalleryFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

What would you do in a sequel to OB64 to improve it?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
liforrevenge
Fighter

PostSubject: Re: What would you do in a sequel to OB64 to improve it?   Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:36 pm

I was just thinking it would be cool if more classes could use combination attacks. For instance, a trio of dianas/archers in the same row could do like a rain of arrows type thing that does AoE damage. Things like that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zargata
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What would you do in a sequel to OB64 to improve it?   Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:47 pm

liforrevenge wrote:
I was just thinking it would be cool if more classes could use combination attacks. For instance, a trio of dianas/archers in the same row could do like a rain of arrows type thing that does AoE damage. Things like that.
I also like this idea. (I wish this had a like button lol)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://OgreBattle.Weebly.com
Muliciber
Fighter

PostSubject: Re: What would you do in a sequel to OB64 to improve it?   Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:49 am

liforrevenge wrote:

I was immediately reminded of combo attacks from games like Chrono Trigger. Mage hits knight with a fire spell while he runs and hits the enemy with a fire enhanced melee attack.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Daos the Indefinite
Soldier

PostSubject: My two cents   Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:32 am

Hi this is my first post, hope I do it right:D

Here goes my two cents:
- I think adding a charge command while on map. It would deplete fatigue faster but if your unit hits a enemy you get a damage buff for the first turn or something. Or all your units get to attack first no matter their speed.

- On this note while in battle more tactics would be nice. Like a flank command to attack the only the edges, or a rush command that sends your units attacking whoever is directly in front of them.

- More classes of course is always nice.

- I think building defensive and offensive structures. For example creating a stonewall to funnel enemy movement, or to protect a stronghold. Setting traps that stun enemy movement?

- My biggest addition would be class specific special attacks. Kind of like of like Final Fantasy Tactics for ps1, where you get job points and spend it learning new abilities. And to use these special attacks uses up energy which is limited.
For example, a paladin can learn an attack called crusade blade. To use it, while in battle select the unit and choose the attack. On his next turn(a turn must be available to use it) he performs the special attack. To avoid spamming it costs 100 energy, so a paladin with 400 energy can only use it 4 times during the mission.(I made special abilities for all the classes, took so long XD)

I have lots more but I won't post it all now. Actually I have been working on my own Ogre Battle-esque game. Although everything is only on paper.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Muliciber
Fighter

PostSubject: Re: What would you do in a sequel to OB64 to improve it?   Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:37 am

Daos the Indefinite wrote:
- More classes of course is always nice.

Branching promotion trees would be nice to help with this.

Example, A soldier would promote into a knight or a gladiator, the knight would promote to paladin or commander.

A priest could turn into a monk or an abbot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tobyus
Fighter

PostSubject: More visable equipment   Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:51 am

If only one thing bugged my about OGB64, it was the only thing that changed on your visable character was your weapon. So like when I first got the Dragon Armor, I slapped it on a Knight, and of course his suit didn't change color or anything. BOOOOO!

So the new Ogre Battle should utilize upgraded graphics, and truly make the shields, helmets, clothing and armor much more realistic. Maybe even allow armor to show accumulated damage during a long and brutal battle?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Necronium
Knight
Knight

PostSubject: Re: What would you do in a sequel to OB64 to improve it?   Thu May 31, 2012 10:30 am

that was always my gripe with teh final fantasy games. But 12 changed that for me. As for what i would change it would be this:

1)Increased difficulty. Either through stronger enemies, or allowing the enemy units certain advantages. ie. extra characters per unit. better overall equipment for every character not just the unit leader. I mean only 1 wizard has a kerykeion while teh other 4 have wind staves or whatever they are called? The holy lodis empire cannot afford to fund their SUPERIOR army with superior gear?

2)Multiplayer. Either through some kind of vs option or better yet make it a mmo type of game. Afterall their are several low budget games that already feature something along these lines. i would pay 10-15 bucks a monthe for a good ogre battle mmo. Where the actual campaign could be as long or longer than OB64. And the end game would be pvp/expansions

3)Alignment/Chaos frame adjustment. Rather than having an overall chaos frame seperate from your units alignment i think that your CF should be directly related to your units. IE if you have a unit smiting evil entities/chaotic enemies they would get a lawful boost. they completely kill an enemy unit/fight good or neutral units they get a chaotic drop. Their actions at towns would also affect their alignment. If they capture a town they should drop to chaos, if they liberate they should become more lawful. only drawback to this i see is a more chaotic inclination. So their would have to be another factor to adjust their alignments. But more to the point if you have a bunch of lawful units your cf should be high as you are being a lawful/good army. But if you are murderous and pillaging your obviously evil so you should have a low cf. This way would make keeping neutral units easier, and definately make being chaotic easier.

4) probably my biggest complaint. The special characters. They should have completely unique sprites. not just color swaps. That way if they change classes it would fix the issue of losing their cool sprite. It is an easier fix than giving additional color swaps to every single class that they could possibly become. Slight change should occur obviously like the weapons, but as far as their sprites they should be something that reflects what they intend to do. i mean how many people have their asnabel turn into a wizard? Sure it is possible but their class is basically outlined as to what they are supposed to do.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kroak
Fighter

PostSubject: Re: What would you do in a sequel to OB64 to improve it?   Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:07 pm

Sorry for the thread necro, but I have been thinking about this for a while and needed to get it out of my system somewhere Smile Some of these topics were covered in other posts, but with slightly different takes than my own. In no particular order-

Town Alignments: The +/- range of a value was an improvement over the "always liberate with high alignment" previously, but it ended up being a bit too mathy on the user's end. Make cities/towns/etc one of the three Chaotic (0-35), Neutral (36-64), Lawful (65-100), and give units each their own designation based on the average of their units (displayed similar to 'movement type' of the group), and liberation for like aligned towns, conquering for non-like towns.

Reputation: Based more heavily on choices made in the game, with liberating/conquering/losing towns being slightly less of an impact. It was too easy to be 'bad' (way too easy, actually), too hard to be 'good'. Show the meter and give it a numeric scale.

Neutral Towns (not controlled by the bad guys, nor you): I wasn't a fan of these, they were pretty much a guaranteed reputation hit because the bad guys had no qualms about taking them over.

Character Alignments: Alignment should be more of a conscious effort than just done by chance. Shifting of the alignment of units should be based on those who they are fighting alongside, if there are 4 low alignment units and 1 lawful, the lawful will shift down toward neutral and eventually chaotic. When there are 2 lawful, 2 chaotic and 1 neutral, all characters will shift towards neutral as they fight. The idea being that players will have a more direct route to raising, lowering or holding steady their character's alignments.

Art Style: The art style of OB64 was a bit awkward to me, trying to emphasize "we are 3d looking now!" vs the previous 'cartoony' game, which despite lower quality graphics, was more aesthetically pleasing.

Maps: I loved the large scale maps of OB:MotBQ, and would scale up the maps with each mission.

Pedras: I was less a fan of this than I originally expected. I would dampen it's impact to just be a bonus if you are using armor/weapon of that elemental type

Special Characters: OB64 did a better job of making it not feel like you *had* to be high reputation/chaos frame in order to get cool characters, but I think it would be nice if there was an equal distribution among the three divisions of low, medium, high reputations.

Character trees: I would love the trees to have more branches and be less linear after the first decision you make. I was designing a fantasy game of sorts with a friend, and the character trees could be applied to an OB game, but some classes could be replaced with others based on character gender if desired, as well as applying alignment and other stat requirements to advance. Within the spoiler tags is an image of the tree chart, and a description that I wrote up on each class. Note that I am not in any way a professional writer, just a geeky scientist, so it may not be best class descriptions that you will ever read, and they were originally created for a Runequest type game, so if it says 'players' rather than 'characters' in places, that would be why. My inspirations for this class tree are taken from OB, Everquest, Rift, and WoW. When a class has 'pets', just imagine them similar to the way doll mages would send in their dolls for a round or two, but also have their own attacks.
Spoiler:

Character Advancement: It was pretty frustrating and confusing in OB64 with "why can't this character advance to the next class?", based on either the act you are in or not having a valiant mantle or etc. It would be nice to have all the the available classes start as 'grayed out' and you can see what you need in order to advance a character to that class. I wasn't a fan of what act you were in being a factor, nor having access to a store with the equipment already. It felt unnecessary to me, stats/alignment should be sufficient.

Tarot cards: I miss them. Sad

Strategy Scenes/Cut Scenes: Less of them. A lot less. If something important is needed like "they sabotaged the bridge!" it can be brought up at the start of the game with a red/yellow '!' in the area or whatnot.

Unit Grid: I preferred the 2 row system of OB:MotBQ with half-steps to that of the 3x3 no-half-step system in OB64.

Flanking: The flanking system was a bit wonky, especially evident when each unit in combat was flanking the other. If not removing it entirely, I would only have the rear flank be taken into account.

Items: Equipping units with items, while believable, was less enjoyable. I would just have any unit be targetable by items in the main inventory rather than expecting units to carry their own.

Petrification: It was probably a bit too potent in OB64, reduce it to 24 hrs in game time, or just the duration of the battle.

Large Creatures: If they take up more room physically and strategically, they should be strong enough to warrant it. Either reduce their size and consider them on par with other classes, or beef them up.

Game Difficulty: Settings of Easy, Normal and Hard.

That's all I can recall at the moment, may be back with more if something comes to me Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zargata
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What would you do in a sequel to OB64 to improve it?   Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:05 am

Kroak wrote:
OMG TEXT
Awesome stuff! I agree with a lot of the stuff you said. Also, necro-ing stuff here...it's part of the every day reality of the forum. It has to happen! xD
Back to top Go down
Kroak
Fighter

PostSubject: Re: What would you do in a sequel to OB64 to improve it?   Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:24 pm

yeah, when i first saw this forum i was really excited, "yay, other people who are still talking about ogre battle!", and didnt look at the time of the last posts too closely before i posted.

obviously at this point its a long shot that nintendo will make another ogre battle game in the style of motbq and ob64 (tactics ogre seems to have been the setup for most of the sequels). but i think if someone were to make a smartphone turn based app game inspired by the play style of ogre battle, it could be a fun way to keep some of the elements of OB alive.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zargata
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What would you do in a sequel to OB64 to improve it?   Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:20 pm

Kroak wrote:
yeah, when i first saw this forum i was really excited, "yay, other people who are still talking about ogre battle!", and didnt look at the time of the last posts too closely before i posted.

obviously at this point its a long shot that nintendo will make another ogre battle game in the style of motbq and ob64 (tactics ogre seems to have been the setup for most of the sequels). but i think if someone were to make a smartphone turn based app game inspired by the play style of ogre battle, it could be a fun way to keep some of the elements of OB alive.
Oh I agree! I need me an Ogre Battle like army sim. I neeeds it! xD
Back to top Go down
Max Magnus
Knight
Knight

PostSubject: Re: What would you do in a sequel to OB64 to improve it?   Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:43 pm

Not a day goes by where I don't curse Square Enix under my breath for buying Quest and shelving the entire Ogre Battle series because it "competed" with Final Fantasy. They then turned out and made the mockery that is "Final Fantasy Tactics Advance" with the Quest team... which not only insults Ogre Battle, but the original Final Fantasy tactics as well ;_;

In any case, this world needs moar Ogre Battle!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Necronium
Knight
Knight

PostSubject: Re: What would you do in a sequel to OB64 to improve it?   Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:45 pm

i recently bought a tactics ogre game for psp and have been playing it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What would you do in a sequel to OB64 to improve it?   

Back to top Go down

What would you do in a sequel to OB64 to improve it?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Ogre Battle 64 Archive Forum :: Ogre Battle 64 :: OB64 - General Discussion-
Jump to: